Thursday, January 29, 2009

Twin Update

I had another ultrasound today. Both babies appeared to be the same size - the ultrasound tech estimated them both at 8 ounces. They both look developmentally really well. Their heartrates were both 160 bpm. She spent about an hour doing the ultrasound. They are really looking at everything at this stage!

A couple matters for prayer: one baby has what is called "velamentous insertion of the umbilical cord", which from what I can figure out, means that the umbilical cord is not attached as best as we would wish for - it is off to the side of the placenta instead of the middle. The doctor told me this could affect the growth of the baby. That is all she said really about that. The other baby has a very small amount of fluid surrounding him. I could tell right away what she was talking about - I could see on the ultrasound one baby with this big area all around him - he had plenty of room to "swim" around, and the other one looked crammed into his space. Again, the doctor didn't say much about this, except that it wasn't what would be best. I think nobody wants to say too much, because at this point, both babies appear to be fine physically.

So, we just wanted to let you all know so you could be praying more specifically. We covet your prayers for our babies. We feel scared, and we wish we could do something, but there isn't anything to do or change. We are safe in the will of God for us and for them, and I am so glad for that. I am glad that Jesus came to die for us, and that now he is with us always.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Double the trouble, double the fun!
I have sisters that are twins! I didn't know if I ever told you that.
Praying for you!..............Sally H

Anonymous said...

Yay! We are so happy for you guys. Thanks for letting us know about your blog, it's great! Love you!! Melissa & Tren :)